Williamsburg has seen a lot of changes over the past few years. It’s the same across New York—gleaming new housing towers are edging out affordable apartments, and rents continue to skyrocket as working families struggle to scrape by. This issue is personal for Antonio, and he believes all New Yorkers should have the right to live in a safe, affordable home in their community. Antonio knows he’ll have to reverse Mayor Bloomberg’s broken legacy on affordable housing issues, and will work hard to ensure the City delivers on its promise to construct 3,500 new affordable apartments for residents across Brooklyn.
As a City Council Member, Antonio will:
- Appoint a Housing Liaison to work directly with constituents and housing agencies to ensure our neighbors get the attention and services they deserve.
- Work with the New York City Housing Authority and the Department of Housing Preservation and Development to bring more affordable housing to Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Ridgewood.
- Collaborate with City agencies and developers to reverse the growing housing divide in our neighborhoods, and ensure all working families can afford an apartment in their community.
- Assist NYCHA residents to ensure apartments remain safe and clean, as well as to guarantee timely repairs..
- Partner with our Congressional representatives to secure resources from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and other federal agencies for affordable housing in our neighborhoods.
- Work with residents and tenant associations in our community to highlight and troubleshoot landlord negligence.
- Collaborate with legal aid services to give New Yorkers who need legal assistance the resources they deserve.
- Protect rent-stabilized tenants from unfair and illegal rent increases.
- Assist local Housing Development Corporations with the development and preservation of affordable housing units.